Friday, January 15, 2010

Anti-inflammatory Carvacrol in Essential Oils

This article at science daily reports that Japanese scientists have discovered that some essential oils have anti-inflammatory action similar to that of red wine.  There were several statements I found interesting...
 
One, this statement:  "Of course, the exact way they work is not completely understood."  So interesting that a scientific source like Science Daily would admit that! 
 
Two, that the research on this is coming from Japan, where I've read that aromatherapy (ie use of essential oils) is surging in popularity.
 
Three, that carvacrol is the anti-inflammatory component in these oils.  Carvacrol is present in other oils as well-- most notably and strongly in oregano, I think-- and is strongly anti-viral as well.  (This Italian study on oregano oil's effect on a form of staph virus give you an example of how powerful it is.  Sorry it's so hard to read!)
 
Hope you all are doing well... I'm assuming interest in continuing the blog is pretty low at this point, so I'm not posting much here.  Had a great time doing this while it lasted, everybody!
 

Posted via email from the Oil Crowd

4 comments:

Kerri Fivecoat-Campbell January 18, 2010 at 4:22 AM  

I hope you continue to post, Kim. I love this blog and have been wondering where you are!

Kim January 18, 2010 at 6:36 AM  

Thanks, Kerri! This is actually a post from a separate blog I kept for a while for a group of friends interested in essential oils. For some reason I have yet to really understand, the automatic posting service we use (posterous.com) tends to dump a copy over here in this blog as well as the oilcrowd blog when I email it in via Posterous. I'm not planning on quitting this one; it's my catchall. The oilcrowd one, though, was part of a book-reading group that's since ended, and interest seems to have tanked on it. I think I'm probably finished with that one.

Post a Comment